Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Consulting

I started a small business consulting firm/practice/thing today. I haven't determined a business name yet, and I'm far from incorporated, but I met with my first client. He's been described to me by many people as the "unofficial Mayor" of their town. (As far as I can tell the town is actually governed by a HOA-style board.) He is, without question, the most connected person I've ever met. I drove around with him a week ago and he showed me the area and everywhere we went he'd see several people who know him by name and ask when they can get together again. 

He is in the process of taking over a business. Due to non-disclosure restraints I can't say too much, but basically the business is quite profitable, having grown 100% since he started with them one year ago, but the whole operation is such a mess than he can't take it any further without serious help. There are two businesses, multiple families, and a church all mixed in the financial disaster. So they are making money, and they have cash on hand, but determining how much cash belongs to which organization is a near-impossibility. 

In the course of the first real day of inquiry about the business he has already directed attention to what I'll be doing next. While I'm working on his business he is actually working on mine! He has my next client already lined up for me (I met them last week; a sign business that also does graphics, videography, and marketing; we will DEFINITELY get along), and wants to know more about me so he can better sell me to more clients. 

If I didn't need immediate cash flow (and if I didn't know they have cash on hand) I would do this pro-bono because he's so incredibly connected and so actively trying to help me and my family. I was expecting to move out of this big family compound/plantation and into an apartment, but the jump start he's giving me makes me think we may be able to get into an actual house instead. 

Sorry no more personal, family posts. It really is quite busy. But at least I fixed the internet connection! 


- Jon 


P.S. I have a few ideas I'm working on for the business name, but I'm open to suggestions. Please leave a comment with any ideas. Again, I'm focusing on long-term strategic planning and marketing (both the common sense involving sales & advertising and the truer meaning involving product/service selection and client relations.)

4 comments:

  1. When you say "no more personal, family posts", what exactly do you mean? Forever? For today? Please be specific.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, what I meant was "sorry I haven't posted anything more personal." I wasn't declaring the end of family-related blog posts. I just haven't had time for much more and this was a post to help explain why.

    Does that make sense?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was also wondering about what "no more" meant. I was hoping you didn't mean forever-more. Tell everyone we miss them, and good luck with the business thing! Sounds like it's right up your alley! If I think of a name I'll let ya know... p.s. Tell Karla I've gathered most of her maternity clothes but I don't have the money to mail them to you.. so if she wants to send me some money I'll get them to her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What?! A job where they EXPECT and ENCOURAGE you to tell them all the stuff they're doing wrong?? This one could really be a good fit for you, I'm thinking! :) How about "MILLERSKNOWITALL, Inc."?

    ReplyDelete